Saturday, January 4, 2014

Traumatising Day 2

It's 3.45am and I'm lying in bed typing this post. Recounting the day's event brought tears to my eyes.

P had a terrible Day 2 at her kindergarten. Unlike yesterday, I tried to step aside today to let the teachers do their work. P became totally hysterical and inconsolable when she realised I'm not at her side. She cried through her assembly and tried several times to get to us, but was held back by a teacher. 

After assembly, I went to her to give her a hug and tried to do a proper goodbye, telling her that mommy and daddy are going to buy her some cheese (her fav snack) and we'll see her after school. She would have none of it, pulling me into her classroom and promptly sat on my lap to prevent me from going anywhere. Attempts to get her to sit on the floor were futile as her radar was on full alert, any distance more than 1cm would trigger crying. I got her out of the classroom to clam down upon hubby's recommendation. She was super clingy and not even hubby can get her away from me. Her Chinese teacher 叶老师 came up to us and offered to bring P to the classroom. She refused and hubby asked the teacher to just take her away. It was the most heart wrenching moment when she screamed and cried and tried desperately to hold on to me. Tears were forming in my eyes and I tried very hard to control. I really can't bear to watch on any longer, and asked hubby to get me out of there for lunch. 

I got back to the school just after 1pm to wait for P to take the school bus together, just as I promised her earlier when I tried to do the goodbye. She wasn't crying as she walked the long corridor to the main hall, but the moment she saw me, she broke into tears. 

Lessons learnt (in order of importance):
1. Out of sight, out of mind. The kiddo will only cry if she sees her parents. 
2. It might have been better if I hadn't turned up with her yesterday. It makes her think that mommy (and/or daddy) can accompany her to school and be with her the whole time. 
3. Proper goodbyes should be done the moment we reached school, otherwise it won't work anymore. In other words, drop and go. 

P must have gotten so tired from all the crying that she conked out in the school bus, poor girl. 
Concussed!
Next Monday will be the final day that parents can accompany their kiddos, both on the school bus and in school. I'm on leave, but hubby asked me not to go. Plan is to get mil's maid to send her up the school bus in the morning (which will be the routine going forward). Hubby will drive to school and peep to see how she's doing, but he needs to stay "invisible" (out of sight and mind for P).

Before bedtime, I had my usual daily conversation of "What did you do today and where did you go?" with P. She was able to tell me most of the day's event, but the only missing part was the duration in school. Sigh, I think she's totally traumatised by today and want to avoid speaking about it totally. Not a good sign!! I must make a mental note to tell my parents and in laws not to ask or say anything about school over the weekend.

Below is the carnage from today's struggles. I was shocked when I removed her badge and the safety pin just crumbled.
The wreckage
I'm worried about next week, seriously worried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment