Friday, May 10, 2013

Marymount Kindergarten Registration - Phase 3

It was a night of weird dreams. I dreamt that hubby and I went to q for MMK, but the q was so long when we got there and we gave up. Dejected, we went for Korean BBQ.

I did a time check after being rudely awakened by the dreams. It was 3.50am. Hubby's alarm was set for 4.50am. I didn't go back to sleep, and chose to go to the living room to watch my Korean dramas instead.

We left house at 5.30am and reached MMK at 5.45am. It was pitch dark but we spotted 2 cars at the porch in front of the school. As we neared the main door, we saw a couple of people, definitely earlier than us. We were #7 in the q, guaranteed a spot for pre-nursery. I had called MMK the day before to enquire on vacancies for today, just before they close at 3pm. There were 13 slots for morning session, and 30+ slots for the afternoon session.

A Chinese teacher arrived slightly after 6am, and suggested for us to move our cars as the school buses will be dropping the kids there later. Unless the registration takes place on weekends when there are no lessons, I'd encourage you to park at the carpark uphill.

The people in front of us sat on the steps leading up to the main door. Luckily, we brought along 2 plastic stools, so we had a seat during the wait. It was also interesting to note that most of the people in the q were fathers. I thought it will be the other way round, but then again, I wouldn't feel safe to let my wife q in the pitch darkness.
Registration started at 7am, in batches of 4. We were asked to fill up a form (front and back), and sign 2 copies of confirmation (front and back). They also needed the immunisation certificate (I think you can get it printed from the NIRS website) which I didn't have. I only had P's health booklet with me, so they made a copy of the immunisation page. Within 20 min, they cleared 2 batches, not too bad.

We went for prata to 'celebrate' the registration success. Now, we need to head back for our beauty sleep.

Tips for MMK registration
1. Stools/chairs and mosquito repellent will be crucial for the long wait. I guess this only works for this year, since next year's registration might be at the new building.
2. Enquire on vacancies the day before, so you can gauge your chances and what time to start q-ing.
3. The toilets in the school are only accessible when the 1st staff comes and open the main door. You might want to avoid snacking or drinking too much during the wait.
4. It's pitch dark before 7am. No point bringing reading materials like magazines. Your best pal will be your electronic devices. Make sure they are fully charged before you leave the house.
Boohoo, school fees are going to increase. Just when we enrol P...

No comments:

Post a Comment