Thursday, October 3, 2013

Gynae visit

2 years ago, I spent hours poring over search engines and motherhood forums looking for the 'best' gynae in town. We finally settled on Dr. Adrian Woodworth because he is relatively well known in the online space, and that his clinic in Sengkang is quite near to my Hougang home then. 

With #2, what I looked for is no longer 'famous' gynaes, but rather the proximity to my current home. It's almost a no brainer that the AMK Hub gynae came to mind. Comments about her in the online space are scarce, and I didn't know what to expect. 

During the first visit, I didn't feel much difference than if I were to visit a normal GP. However, today's visit took me by surprise. Upon entering her office, she greeted me warmly with "Hi Jessica, how? Still irregular (referring to my 17-day delayed period)?" When I told her I tested positive, she was so so happy for me, and she remembered I was trying to conceive! She asked me for the first day of last menses and compared to a circular date chart, concluding that I should be in week 5-6 of pregnancy. She asked if I want to do a blood test or a scan, but warned me that we might not e able to see much during the scan as the pregnancy is still in early stages. 

Opted for the scan and it has to be done from below, but she did it very well and I didn't feel any discomfort. I liked the ultrasound set up in her clinic too. She had duplicate screens, one for her and another one diagonally above me, so I don't have to strain my neck trying to see what she was talking about. The first thing she checked was my uterus lining, which she said had thickened and that confirms I'm really pregnant. Then she tried looking for the water bag, but we only saw a small space that should develop into a water bag in a couple of weeks. She was also able to tell me that I ovulated on the right side as opposed to the left, and gave me assurance that she sees nothing that I should be concerned about. 

After the scan, she launched into a barrage of what I should not be eating (raw food, certain cheese etc) and to keep coffee/tea to one cup a day max. We discussed exercise options and to my relief, she passed walking on the treadmill, which means I can still continue going to the gym. There was to be no lifting of weights (I wonder if a 12kg toddler counts) and no jumping. Brisk walking is about the safest exercise, at least for the first trimester. 

The next visit is in 2 weeks' time. I can't wait already!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this very informative post! By the way, If you are around Camden Medical Centre in Singapore, I would highly recommend paying a visit to a women's rejuvenation clinic. The clinic offers a comprehensive range of obstetrics, gynaecology, and aesthetic services tailored to women of all ages. These services are administered by a well-known gynaecologist in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete