Friday, June 29, 2012

Luring the stork

This was the headlines of Today papers today. Suggested measures include more healthcare subsidies, paternity leave, more flexi-work provisions and ensuring the low income earn enough to grow their families.

In a similar report on MyPaper, it was reported that Singapore's fertility rate rose slightly last year, but still rank as 3rd lowest among the 5 East Asian societies (Taiwan, HK, Japan, South Korea). To encourage Singaporeans to marry earlier and procreate, housing could be cheaper, education less expensive and stressful, and childcare options more affordable.

Every family has different needs. What do I (and hubby) need to have more children?
1. Hubby needs to get a more stable job, as in stable hours and income. He's currently in the mortgage sales line, with sales target to meet and appointments to go for at 8pm at night. He did not start his paternity leave until I was discharged from hospital, which means I was pretty much on my own in the hospital in the daytime, and he would stay over with me at night. Thinking back, I would have preferred his presence earlier.

2. Childcare options
Frankly speaking, I do not really need this, unless the current arrangement changes in the future. P spends 2 weekdays over at my mom's, and the rest of the 3 weekdays with my in law's maid. On these 3 weekdays, I will bring her home after work. And naturally, weekends are spent with me. The reason why I put this in as #2 is because I would prefer P attends some sort of preschool when she hits 18 months so that she learns and interacts with other children, instead of learning how to watch tv etc at home. I enquirer with a couple of preschools, and most of them only offer a full day childcare option. One at AMK hub charges $800++ per month after subsidy, and if you think the charges put people off, you'll be horrified to know there are more than 50 people in the wait list. I was hoping P could attend at least a mid range type of preschool, but it looks to be challenging. By the way, I noticed that half day and full day program charges are pretty much the same, if not already the same.

3. Maternity leave
I found myself in a unique situation where career is concerned. I took a straight 4 months of maternity leave, went back to work, resigned for a better opportunity, joined the other company but realises on the 1st day of work that my hubby's aunt is within the same company, 2 weeks later the company decided it was a conflict of interest, and they let me go with about 2.5 months of compensation. There, I became a SAHM for the next 2 months, and found a bonding with P that I treasure very much.

I guess my point is to say I realised that the child only attaches himself/herself to the caregiver at about 5-6 months old. It would be great if maternity can last that long. Even though I have now re-entered the workforce, P is still v attached to me (rejects her dad at times). I don't think the same thing would have happened if I had just gone back to the workforce after 4 months, though I could be wrong.

4. Paternity leave
4 months for me, 2 days for hubby (3 for others). Hey, it takes a sperm and an egg to make a baby! The returns of one party (male) are pathetically low in this aspect. That being said, the nature of the job has a part to play as well. In my case, I know even if the company gives my hubby 2 weeks of paternity leave, he will not be able to utilise due to work commitments. However, I still think the government should improve on this.

5. Cash bonus
The $4k has been very helpful. Nevertheless, the more the better. P consumes 1 tin of formula milk per week ($40x4). 2-3 diaper packs per month ($20x3) and the list goes on. You get my gist, $4k is indeed better than nothing, but not THAT much after you do your sums.

Ideally, we hope to have at least 3 children. My even more ideal world is to be a SAHM. I don't see how I can achieve that before my kid(s) turn 21, unless I win the Big Sweep (which is even more impossible since I don't buy at all). Back to the work desk, sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment