Thursday, March 20, 2014

Disney on Ice

When I went to fetch P from mil's house yesterday, the first thing she told me is that she wants to go watch Disney. Of course, the advertisement had been running on TV for awhile, and she will get excited when she sees it. I've been deliberating for quite awhile whether to bring her to Disney on Ice because I've spent some good money on the Barney Birthday Bash that coincidentally falls in the same week. I lost count of the times I've gone to Disney on Ice ticketing website to check out prices and tickets.

Hmmm, I guess you'd probably have guessed by now that I made a rather last minute decision to buy the tickets and bring her there. The fact that I'm on leave today was the main push factor, but I had to rationalise the decision with the cheapest category ticket ($20/ticket, 10% off with Passion card). 

The show was at 3.30pm (doors open at 2.30pm). I took at the threatening grey skies at 2.30pm and decided to call a cab. We managed to get into the cab before the sky poured down, so it was really lucky. However, our luck ended when we neared the indoor stadium. There was a huge jam leading to the stadium carpark. Only when we got to the front that I realised people were dropping their family members off at the shelter, and that prevented vehicles behind from entering. I had thought we were well ahead of time by leaving house 1 hour before, but we only reached 10 min before show time. You can imagine how many families were late for the show. Lesson learnt, if the rain threatens to come, better leave 1.5/2hrs before. 

Stadium staff conducted a bag check at the entrance, and our tickets were scanned to grant entry. After entering, there were stalls selling food and a whole lot of Disney merchandise. I knew things were going to be expensive, but the prices still shocked me. Bags of popcorn contained in a Disney bag costs a whopping $16. Disney merchandise easily costs at least $19. However, parents at the show were really willing to spend on their kids. It was a good thing P wasn't that much interested, so my wallet was spared. 

The cheapest category put us on level 3, and this is the view you can expect.
Skating figures were quite small, and the railing blocked P's view, so she spent the whole first half on my lap. The show started on the dot and P was super entranced with the skating figures, music and lighting. When Mickey & Friends came out, I almost had to stop her from jumping to them. She remained captivated for the rest of the first half and I'm really glad to see her enjoy herself. 

It was almost a relief for my thighs when intermission came. I brought her back to the entrance area, and she took to the Lego play table straight away. 
The intermission lasted some 15 min, and we head back for the second half. The second part was mostly about Disney princesses, but there was also a segment on Lion King which was a bit disturbing for P (esp when Simba's father died). She kept telling me the papa lion fell down and remained very perplexed even after the show. Towards the end, there were some fireworks effects and that got P really high! 

Overall, it was a very good show! For adults, it brings back childhood memories. For children, it is something they recognise and I'm sure it will form part of P's childhood when she grows up. We will definitely be back for their future shows! For now, there's Barney's Birthday Bash to look forward to this Saturday morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment