Saturday, March 22, 2014

Barney's Birthday Bash

We caught Barney's Birthday Bash today! We arrived well ahead of time. I wanted to check out the merchandise, but P saw the stage from outside the theatre and demanded to go in immediately.
Here she is after 15 min of wait. 
After she realised the show isn't going to start anytime soon, she asked me to bring her out again. By this time, the merchandise area was getting crowded. Again, like the Disney on Ice merchandise, things don't come cheap. They have 3 packages for you to choose from, but items can also be bought separately. P isn't THAT big a fan of Barney, so I was again spared from buying anything. 

The show started slightly after 11am, and it was a full house. The theatre was kind of old compared to the indoor stadium, reminding me a bit of old school cinemas. If the person in front of you is tall, you get half your view blocked off. As a result, many parents had their kids on their laps. It would have helped if they have booster seats, but this being a kids show, I don't know how many they need to prepare beforehand. 

Everyone got really high when Barney made his appearance. P was really engaged for the first part of the show. The show involved some talking by the characters, and will lead to a song. I've lost count of the number of songs sang during the show. P could sing along to songs that she knew, but they had quite a few she doesn't, and that's when she started getting restless, telling me she wants to take a walk outside. 

Intermission came, but it was too packed and inconvenient to go anywhere (I regretted getting centre seats), so she was really cooped up for the whole duration. I wasn't too fond of the idea of walking through my neighbours with a big tummy and toddler in tow. 

P went downhill during the second part. They had songs she wasn't familiar with, so she started climbing up and down her seats. She started pinching my face and clambering all over me. In short, she got bored. One thing to note is that they do a bag check at entrance, and require you to remove all food items prior to entering the theatre. While I understand this helps to keep the theatre clean, but it's tough for me to manage P when I can't bribe her with food when she's bored. Worst of all, I was just too eager to escape the crowd after the show that I left my snack container behind. 

I thought the show was quite suitable for her age group, probably more suitable than Disney on Ice. The dancing and songs were mostly fast paced and full of energy. It might have been the theatre and the crowd, but it seems to me that P preferred Disney on Ice to this show...

No comments:

Post a Comment