Friday, March 7, 2014

Exercising during Pregnancy

Clyde hits the 27 weeks mark tomorrow, and I'm proud to say that I've come a long way where exercising during pregnancy is concerned. In my previous pregnancy, the only exercise I did was to go shopping during lunch and walk down to buy some food during tea break. Being a first time mother at that time, anything more than walking is considered too dangerous for the baby.

In this pregnancy though, I really have to give credit to having a True Fitness below my workplace. I have been a regular for about a year prior to pregnancy, and didn't want to lose the momentum that I have built up. I was initially a bit worried during first trimester, and consulted my gynae who is not in favor of me hitting the gym. She gave me a letter to suspend my gym membership (which is still with me), and told me not to do anything more than light walking and swimming. So, I ended up walking the treadmill for 30 min during lunch, at least 3 times a week. After morning sickness left me at week 18, I started feeling more energetic and crave the heart pounding feeling. 

With renewed energy, I got myself on the Precor Cross Ramp that supposedly reduces the impact on the joints (as opposed to jogging on the treadmill).

I was pleasantly surprised to find I could pretty much keep the same level compared to pre-pregnancy, so that's what I have been doing since week 18. According to the stats on the machine, I could burn about 320 calories in 28 min, covering a distance of 3.9km. That helps to keep my weight gain in check (my appetite has been increasing recently, and I often find myself waking up to hunger pangs at 3am in the morning) and hopefully keep water retention away.  

Some 3 weeks back, I experienced my first leg cramps while sleeping. Coincidentally, my sister in law who works at Clarins gave me a bottle of Clarins Energizing Emulsion that is supposed to soothe tired legs. I didn't think much of it when I first applied. It leaves a very cooling feeling after a while, and just like its description - really soothing. 
It became a routine for me to apply it only on my gym days. Strangely enough, I didn't experience any leg cramps on nights when I applied this. I can only say its a godsend!

Thanks to my sister in law, I had the chance to try a few Clarins product this pregnancy. I will write about their stretch marks product in a separate post. 

4 comments:

  1. congrats! i was one of your readers who asked about nobeland which you have reviewed previously for P. coincidentally, our kids both enrol in their pre-school in jan this year and....having boys (2nd kid) in early Jun! my edd is Jun 7. as i'm staying just opposite The Peak and drove pass Marymount kindergarten every morning when dropping off my son, i was curious to find out about the 'charm' of this school cos i saw parents/grandparents walking the kids up the slope. glad that P is adapting well in sch =) i'm currenting updating my 'blog' on http://dayre.me/weisemo. so we can follow each other. have a smooth pregnancy ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, yes I recall the conversation about Nobleland! My edd is just 1 day before yours, 6 Jun. Thanks for directing me to your blog. I will definitely follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess, CS here. Im engaged Wendy Teo as my gynae too n my edd is 2 jul. Mind to share wif me ur package wif Wendy Teo? I intended to sign up package wif her but she asked me to wait until she move to Mount E on Apr....so im still paying her 200plus (included medicine) now for every visit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CS, I paid $850 (before GST) for her package back in Dec 2013. I think I was about 16 weeks back then. I'm quite surprised they have yet to put you on package.

      By the way, I had my visit at her new clinic at Mount E Novena today. It was super crowded...

      Delete