Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mama, go fetch!

I was researching on baby milestones when I came across this on Baby Center.

"Fetch. Your 13-month-old will adore this one, though you may find it less than entertaining. Throwing toys out of his crib or playpen or food off his highchair and watching you retrieve the objects and hand them back to him is big-time fun. He may also enjoy handing you toys, books, and other objects, expecting that you will hand them back. This kind of give, take, and give again is actually a social game, a way of keeping your attention. You may also notice that he loves an audience, and will repeat any "performance" that elicits a positive response, especially applause."Immediately, a smile appeared on my face, because this is exactly the phase where P is right now.

Throwing toys out of playpen happens more regularly at my in law's place, for the playpen at our house is rarely used. She really takes pleasure at pick up a toy (usually a ball), stand in her playpen, hold up the toy in a teasing manner and DELIBERATELY drop it in front of you, just to see how you will react. The first few times, I would retrieve it (to her utmost pleasure), and thereafter, I will just ignore it. The reverse is true at my house. She would pick up her toy hammer from the playmat, and drop it into her playpen. Sigh, I was really quite frustrated with her when she did all those, but now it's starting to make sense.

I can also identify with the second part: give-take-give. P would hand me an object, only to take it back the next second. Then, she would scrutinize the object, as if I damaged it in that precious 1 second that I held it. After a detailed examination on the extent of damage, she would then decide whether to give it to me again. The only upside is that she is able to understand simple instructions like "Give to daddy", "Give to grandma", "Give to mommy" etc.

Lastly, audience. Very often, her audience would break out in applause after her 'performance', and her reaction will include
1. A super gleeful look
2. A super gleeful look + clapping
3. A super smug/superior look
Witnessing her reaction usually sends us into another round of laughter/praises. How not to love such a cutiepie?


The thumbsucker

No comments:

Post a Comment