Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Toys Galore

Christmas is a season for toys!

Mom came to fetch P yesterday, and brought over a huge bag of Mother Garden toys. Mother Garden is a series of wooden playsets from Japan, and is great for pretend play. I had come across a Christmas sale from MumyAtHome on their facebook page, and since it's just 2 blocks from my mom's place, I sent her to check it out. Mom ended up calling me while I was having lunch at Underwater World, and went "Wow, all the toys are so pretty! How, which one should I get? There is this kitchen set that is so so pretty!" She spoke Chinese, so it's definitely 2x louder and more animated than you imagine. This gushing continued for 2 minutes before I could get a word in to tell her to get 2 sets for P (1 for my house, and 1 for her house). Guess what? She bought 5 sets (3 for my house and 2 for her house).

Moral of the story - Do not send a doting grandmother to such sales.

I shall post more pics after I've unpacked them
I was looking through my phone, and came across a video of P taken last week. It showed her stacking blocks on top of a remote control, blocks meant for her shape sorter.

Kids are seriously unpredictable. I have been showing her how to stack up those blocks for ages, and all she's interested in is to destroy knock them down. Just when you give up trying to teach her, she suddenly shows you what you have been teaching her all along. 

I opened the Duplo set she got for her birthday, and tried to teach her to fix the blocks together. All she did was to snatch the newly assembled block, and proceed to take them apart. I told her that This process repeats itself for a good 2-3 months, and I gave up. Hubby also gave up and we decided she's not ready for it yet, so the Duplo set went into the storeroom. 2 days ago, I left P in her playroom while I did my things, and went in to check on her later. Guess what? She had 3 Duplo blocks (an overlook on hubby's part when clearing them up to go into the storeroom) in her hands and was in the process of fixing them together. Upon completion, she turned and saw me looking and gave a super smug grin, as if this was so easy peasy and I didn't have to make so much effort teaching her.

The toughest nut to crack, however, turned out to be her favorite shape sorter. She is good to bang the blocks together, empty the sorter, put blocks into the uncovered sorter etc, but when the lid is closed and she wants to put in the blocks (through the shapes), that's the beginning of a meltdown. I have been pointing out colors and shapes to her, and telling and showing her what goes where, but she can't associate them yet. She would try to stuff an oval into a square hole and become very frustrated when it wouldn't go in. After 3 (or less) tries, she will be in a big fuming tantrum. The thing about P is that she refuses to let you guide her hands, and if you try to help her put the blocks through the right shape, she will scream and push your hands away. Sigh, really no success with the shape sorter so far. I wonder when she will surprise me like the 2 incidents above.

No comments:

Post a Comment