Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Flip for Joy

Do you have any trouble finding good Chinese books for your bubs? One can find a huge array of English books on websites like fishpond.com.sg or bookdepository.com. That's how I usually get books for P. If I do not want to wait for the delivery, there's even a Motherswork at my workplace building. Go in, pick out the book, pay, and I'm out of there.

With Chinese books, it's a different story. Motherswork don't carry Chinese books (at least since the last time I've stepped in), and those in bookstores don't look very interesting. In the online sphere, the options are much much more limited compared to English books.

Hence, it's probably a blessing when I came across this website called Flip for Joy. I've been very tempted to get some of the books for P. The website is quite user friendly and one could navigate the pages easily to look at the description of the book. It's an even bigger blessing when I won a $30 e-gift card in a blog contest.

I placed an order for their "Flip Flip Hooray! Ages 0-3 Starter Pack A" yesterday. Guess what? The bubble wrapped books are sitting at my office table today! Quite impressed with the prompt service and delivery.

The starter pack consists of 3 books
1. 大大小小的书
2. 棕色的熊,棕色的熊,你在看什么?(Translated version of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see?)
3. 数一数,亲了几下

I've only opened 大大小小的书 so far, because that's the only one I think can withstand the onslaught of Typhoon P. She hasn't learnt to be gentle with books, and I have tons of magazines to show for that. Of the 2 paperback books she has, both are so torn and tattered that they should be in museums. It might be just P, but she made me wish that all books for Ages 0-3 comes in the board book format.

Anyway, P seems particularly taken with the 圆圆的东西, and kept attempting to open it like a book instead of 'twisting' it to open. I had to step in to prevent serious damage. She also likes the 小小的东西, and that's the one she wanted me to read to her twice! She can already identify snails and bees, and make the "bzzzzzzzzzz" sound when prompted. When we came to the picture of the ants, she patted her chest and gave me a scared look. LOL.

I shall post a review of the other 2 books after I gather enough courage to attempt non-board books with P, haha!


No comments:

Post a Comment