Monday, July 23, 2012

SBS

No, I'm not referring to buses.

Chanced upon some articles about Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS), and decided to read more into the topic. According to Baby Center, SBS is a serious brain injury that happens when an adult violently shakes a baby or young child. The amount of damage depends on how long and hard the child is shaken, but in just 5-10s, a child can suffer permanent, severe damage or even death.

Culprit can be anyone, maids, nannies, relatives and even parents. It's sad that Singapore is a society that makes it difficult for a family to have 1 sole breadwinner. Oftentimes, both parents are out working and their kids are left to caregivers. I can't imagine putting P with a caregiver, and to receive a call in the middle of the day to say that P is in hospital, a victim of SBS. And this is all because I have to work and can't take care of her personally. I can't imagine the anguish and guilt of the parents as well!

It's been a long time since I took a pic of sleeping P. She slept through yesterday night, only crying at 6.30am for milk, and went back to sleep after that. Now, I'm missing her while at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment