Friday, August 24, 2012

Formula Milk (FM) vs Fresh Milk (FM)

Ever since the topic came up on my Sep FB Forum, I've been doing a fair bit of research. The question posted in the forum group was: "I read that we can convert bubs to drink full cow milk after one year old. Anyone doing? What brand and how to serve? Chill no boil???"

1st thing that came to my mind when I saw that question - Why would anyone want to do that? After babies wean off bm, they drink formula milk all the way till primary school age right?

Yeah, that was the impression I had. After reading the comments and inputs from my FB mommies, I launched into research mode. Found 2 sources that are quite interesting: Mummy's Reviews and baby@thescarfer, and also read up from Baby Center, etc.

Essentially, the views on this are quite mixed. Some are strong proponents of fresh milk, while others are all for formula. It is also interesting to note that Western countries rarely have formula milk for babies above 12 months. This brought back memories of an incident about 2 years back. My eldest sister-in-law resides in Canada with her husband and 2 kids. It was the month of our wedding and she came back to Singapore with her daughter (about 14 months old). During our church wedding rehearsal, she arrived and her daughter was drinking a small carton of Marigold fresh milk. MIL saw that and got quite agitated "Why did you feed her cold milk?!" before launching into a barrage of "children cannot drink cold milk" kind of comments. At that time I was also quite puzzled, but now I understand. It's just their culture.

Broached this topic with hubby yesterday evening, and he went "Yes, let's change her to fresh milk. It's cheaper". Haha, to him, it's just about the money.

I think I will start introducing some fresh milk to P and see how she takes to it. Since there are differing views, mabe the safest option for now is to do a combination of the 2 FMs.

No comments:

Post a Comment